Omg I know.
What I noticed:
- Family in babydoll masks (The Strangers)
- Creepy girl in nightgown (The Ring)
- Knockoff Pennywise (Duh)
- Cobra (Any movie on the Sci-Fi channel, ha)
- Robot Scorpion-thing? (Uh? Transformers?)
- Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain (Hellrasier – I also kept thinking of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill)
- Buckner family (I’m assuming The Hills Have Eyes, never actually seen it plus thought of the creepers in Wrong Turn)
- Ballerina (no idea)
- I think I might have also seen something that I would have expected from The Mist (But honestly, really I should have noticed more Stephen King references)
- Someone said they saw the girls from the Shinning, but I didn’t notice
- The actual cabin/caved in tunnel/zombies (Evil Deeeeeeead and I thought of Cabin Fever – but the “cabin in the woods” theme has been done to death anyway)
- The cubes the held the monsters (The Cube? Also, reminded me of Thirteen Ghosts)
- The “teens” (you know, because they never actually look like college kids) kind of turned into the kids from Scooby Doo at random points
- And the whole breaking of the fourth wall in a horror film was totally Scream
- Oh! And the creepy gas station dude reminded me of Cabin Fever, and of Wrong Turn, but mostly just because it looked like a total fucking dump
And the best part about the unicorn bit was the magical sound effects/music in the background during the gore.
I don’t feel a big urge to collect dvds like I used to, but Cabin in the Woods will be an instant buy. I can only imagine that a director’s cut and commentary edition would be worth the money in this horror love letter.